Backlinks are the most important aspects of search engine optimization.
While it is true that you need to engage your audience with valuable and relevant content, link building still has the most dramatic effect on your search engine rankings.
In this post, you will learn what backlinks are, why they are important, types of backlink, and which ones you should focus on building.
At the end, you will also learn few tips on building powerful backlinks to your site to explode your SE rankings so that you want build laser targeted traffic to your site.
What is Backlink?
According to Wikipedia, a backlink for a given web source is a link from some other website to that web resource. A web resource may be a website, web page, or web directory.
Google’s PageRank algorithm looks at the quantity and sources of backlinks for a web page to estimate how important the page is.
The PageRank score is what Google uses to determine how high the web page should go in search engine rankings.
Backlinks are also known as “incoming link,” “inlink,” “inbound link,” and “sitation.”
Importance of Backlinks for SEO
So, why are backlinks so important for SEO, you ask.
- Backlinks are the links that are pointing towards your website and they are the building blocks of search engine optimization, or SEO.
- Inbound links are important part of SEO. As you build more backlinks, your website gets higher chances of being indexed by search engines such as Google, Yahoo, and Bing.
- Backlinks are great for SEO and achieving higher rankings. Search engine spiders such as Google give a lot of priority to the number of incoming links to a site. (They consider these sites more reliable than others based on the number of quality backlinks it has.)
- But having more backlinks to your website is not enough. You also need to have quality backlinks. The content of the sites that are linking to one of your web pages must be similar and useful to the content on your website.
- By having quality backlinks, you attract tons of visitors to your website. This is why attracting backlinks has been a core strategy for content marketers and SEO experts to rank their content higher in search engines.
Remember that getting valuable and relevant inbound links are two very important aspect of SEO.
It is better to get inbound links from a website that has good content and similar theme to your own website than getting a link from badly designed website.
Therefore, good backlink building strategy is the only genuine way to improve your site’s position in search results.
The more inbound links you have to your site, the higher the popularity of your site becomes, and rises higher in SE rankings, and drives tons of traffic to your site.
You should build quality backlinks in order to entice visitors to come to your site.
You cannot just build a website and expect people to find it online without pointing the way. You need to get the word about your website out there on the Internet.
Types of Incoming Backlinks
There are two types of incoming links to your site:
- One way inbound links – This type of links is more important in terms of SEO and yields better results. One-way incoming links will help you rise ahead of all the other sites in your industry.
- Reciprocal inbound links – This type of incoming link is not popular these days. Search engines do not prefer these types of links as they used to do. It would be better that you stick to get one-way backlinks which gets your better results.
The Most Important Incoming Link: One Ways Backlinks
Making one way backlinks to your site helps you gain better search engine rankings. This will help you attract better and valuable visitors to your site mainly from search engines.
But how do you ask other webmasters to link to you?
1) Fill your site with useful and relevant content
One of the effective ways to attract links is to fill your site with unique and better content. Whenever some webmaster lands on your website, and if they find something useful there, they would be more likely to link to your site or one of the pages on it.
Another strategy to build one-way links is through linkbaiting. You create a content that is so compelling that it attracts from other websites (social media sites, news sites, bloggers, etc).
Include your unique ideas, experiences, knowledge, and asset and post them on your site. You will automatically attract more links to your page as it climbs up the search engine rankings.
3) Get links from HIGH PR sites
It will require you to work a lot, but it is an absolutely essential tactic in getting more one-way links to your site. You might want to use SEO Toolbar for Firefox to see the PageRank of any website or web pages.
4) Develop relationships with government organizations, universities, and schools
This will help you gain backlinks from .edu and .gov websites. These domain extension are highly valued by Google, Yahoo, and Bing – links from these website will give you more credibility than links from any other blog.
Getting links from these sites is difficult. Simply focus on providing value to these sites and links will automatically follow.
5) Post guest blogs and articles on external sites
Again, focus on providing valuable, useful, and unique content to these websites and you will have more success with your guest blog posting and article directory submission.
Make sure you include your bio and drop a link around a keyword you want to rank for.
Key Points to Remember [Very Important]
- Obtain links from other sites that are relevant to yours
- Make your anchor text of your backlinks natural to avoid Google penalty. If most of your links have the same keywords as an anchor text, they look spammy to search engines.
- Avoid getting links from low PageRank websites, unless they are highly relevant to the content of your site
- Avoid getting links with the “nofollow” attribute because it will not help you to get link juice from search engines
- Don’t purchase links from link brokers. Obtain links naturally by creating compelling content on your website.
Backlinks are important aspect of SEO. Even if you have tons of content on your site, but no one has access to it, what’s the point right?
Backlinks offers a way to your website. The more paths you can create to your site, the more traffic you will drive to your site to realize your end results – more leads, views, clicks, sales, etc.
But, you cannot build links from anywhere. You have to focus on building quality one-way links to your site, from different sources – article directories, forums, blog comments, social media, and other places.
And once people are on your site, you still need to provide them useful content to keep them engaged long enough to build trust and strong relationships.
Over to you
What do you think? What means backlinks to you? What types of backlinks do you build for your website – and does it help in SE rankings? Please comment!
Total Views: (19)