The bad news is that, in this world, things are hardly perfect … ever, including the services we get from our web hosting providers.
So, a lot of website owners stay with their web hosting company, even if they are not so happy with the all the features they are getting. Why? Because they are unsure of the process and afraid their website might be down for a long periods of time.
The truth is: when you are switching your web hosting company, your website does not have to be down for a second at all.
Over the years, I have hosted over dozens of websites at different web hosting providers, and they have all offered me excellent services and support at all time. Most of my website are hosted on 1and1 and Hostgator (over the past 4 years, they have not let me down!).
I follow these steps when switching from one web host to another without any downtime.
- First, make a backup copy of all your files on your current web hosting server to your hard drive on your computer.
- Sign-up for a new web hosting account and create your profile there.
- Then, transfer all your files to your new web hosting account via FTP or using their easy-to-use cPanel. During file transfer, you can also set up your email accounts.
- Visit your Domain Registrar company – from where you registered/bought your domains – and update the nameservers to your new web hosting service. (Domain Registrars are GoDaddy, NameCheap, and others). Some web hosting providers will do this for you too. Your new site should be up and running within 15 minutes to 48 hours. By following these steps in this order, you will NOT experience any server down time. One moment, the DNS will be pointing to your old web server and the next it will be pointing to the new one.
- Check your site at its new location. Set up any features you might want to use there and let the site run for few days.
- Then, delete your files on your old server and cancel your hosting with them.
Conclusion – Moving your website from one web host to another does not have to be a painful and complicated process. You just need to follow these simple steps and you will be ease at your new home at no time.
Total Views: (8)