Is it worth having your own domain name or web hosting? It’s been a long time I have been preaching about getting your own domain name from a domain name provider such as Godaddy and NameCheap and having your own website hosted on BlueHost or 1and1 is a must, but I still ask this question to myself. So let’s talk about it once again, shall we?
Okay, let’s talk about three reasons why it’s important to have and host your own domain name.
3 Reasons Why Use Your Domain Name and Web Hosting:
1. You Don’t Own It
Just visit Blogger and read their ToS. You will find that you really do not own their so-called “free blog.”
Of course, you do own your content you’ll publish at Blogger, however, the domain name (sub-domain), web hosting, and the platform, will be the property of Google.
If you violate any of their service policy, your account gets suspended and all those hard work you put will go down the drain.
Secondly, you aren’t allowed to sell your blog, should it become popular as well as profitable one day.
2. More Credibility
You will find all types of blogs out there in Blogger as it is a FREE platform.
Of course, there are some great ones, but if you look closely, majority of them are “low” quality. Among these “low quality” blogs, you will also find many “spam blogs” that were created to influence search engine rankings.
This is why most people, when they see the “.blogspot” on your website url, get suspicious. This is why having your own blog will give you immediate dose of credibility for your site.
3. More Flexibility
Hosting your own domain name will give you a full control over the software and the installation settings that will be used there. For example, you can use HTML pages, or use a content management system (CMS) like WordPress, add plugins (scripts) to enhance the interface and so on.
As your blog starts to grow, you will find this flexibility very important as it lets you expand the scope of your site as well as bring more website traffic to it, and ultimately, make money from blogging.
Well, you might be asking, hosting companies like 1and1 lets your host your website online quickly, but can’t you just host your own website from home?
The answer is no.
It would not be great idea to how your own website from home!
Drawbacks of Hosting Your Website from Your Home Server
Here’s what you’ll need in order to host your own website from home:
- A blazingly fast internet connection
- Agreement with your Internet Service Provider to give you constant supply of heavy website traffic. This is where it gets very expensive for you.
- Keep your computer on for 24 hours a day, every day. Not to mention keep it protected from stupid hackers and free of viruses too
- A “powerful” computer that can handle multiple resource requests simultaneously?
- Set up your own control panel, database, FTP server, mail server, among many other features
- Plus, you need licenses so that you can have all server-side software you will be using, and few of them can be pretty much expensive
- If you run into problems, you will need to fix them all, and provide support for your own installations
So, you see, it is not practical to use your own web server to host your website!
Instead, for just a price of a burger (less than $5 per month), you can receive UNLIMITED space, bandwidth, and all software/scripts in order to run a website smoothly.
>> Click here find to find best web hosts for 2016.
Total Views: (13)